Saturday, 5 May 2012

Again its been far too long since my last post so its long over due i update this and explain what has been happening. As is usual for me i have two projects on the go. The first one is a commision i am working on for a desk for a client in leeds, i made a very quick mock up that was completed over a weekend and i then showed this to the client last weekend to get their initial recation in terms of size and overall appearence.
  The design is based on the 'cant' series of side tables and console tables i have designed recently and takes the principle of the cantilever construction but adds more structure to it so it can be used as a desk and support alot more weight. As it was a commison piece i was working to some restrcitions, mainly the size of the desk and the materials used. They decided they wanted the frame to be made of sapele wood, which i have used before and clear acrylic for the desk top. Thus providing a good contrast and that should result in a very unique and modern design.

 Since i last wrote the above paragraph the clients have decided to go for a black acylic top now, based on my 'cant' console table, so i can now start sourcing the sapele wood and ordering the acrylic and tyr and have this made before the queens jubilee, but trying to source the wood yesterday resulted in me driving all the way to the big smoke to find they were shut, so the timeframe has been put back by a few days more. but it promises to be a great, unique design that i will show on this blog soon.

  The second project i am working on is a new design for a console table and subsequent furniture pieces based on an asethetic which will run through this range, i posted two photos on twitter a while ago showing the mock up i made from good old chipboard, which is not the nicest but it is cheap and quick to cut to shape etc. The design is quite simple but the detail/overall appearance lies within the use of two contrasting woods and the relationship between them, one slightly hidden, the other promoting strength and the overall feel.

  Again since writing the above paragraph i have cut the main sections of wood for this new design from good aold sapele and a new wood im trying, iroko. which so far seems to be a very good wood to work with and has a lovely grain/patina to it. so now its just a case of joining them together and making the inner section.
  My designs seem to have a simler aesethetic to them just recently and i think its because i am trying to concentrate on making furniture that appeals to people's interaction with it and the relationship they have with it over time. So in a sense you could say im concentrating on the functional aspects but also adding a unique and different appearance. so now the hard work graft begins, the drawing and planning, researching and thinking is over and i just have to knuckle down and get them made, as always i will update the blog with photos and descriptions of my progress as well as a new prototype idea i am working on which i am gluing up as i type

No comments:

Post a Comment